Saturday, February 1, 2014

Family Finder

My Family Finder (FamilyTreeDNA) autosomal DNA testing has been completed. Although I have, thus far, 47 matches, none are to people showing a Tapscott ancestor. I am disappointed since I was hoping to see a connection to mixed-race Fauquier County, Virginia, Tapscotts. While autosomal testing using Ancestry.com does show relationships to four people with Tapscott ancestors, none of these have Fauquier County connections. I am requesting that anyone who believes they are descended from a Fauquier County Tapscott and who has had autosomal DNA testing to contact me. We may be able to show or rule out a blood relationship to Tapscotts. Note that if we are correct about the relationships between Fauquier County Tapscotts and Henry Tapscott, yDNA testing cannot be used since all lines involve females.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, if my questions show complete ignorance re: DNA, I apologize in advance. While I understand that yDNA is not of use to you in your search, is it possible to use it to see if I am, as I suspect, a descendant of the Tapscotts of Virginia? After reading one of your posts I think that the research is incomplete and possibly wrong as I would be a descendant of Harriet Elizabeth and her origins are suspect and confusing. If she might be the illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth, that would mean I am not at all a Tapscott descendant after all, right? I also see that her children do not have a father listed which adds to the confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I already have learned one thing about the DNA, that you actually want y-DNA, but is it relevant when it comes from a male that is descended from a female? I have uncles that could be tested if that is helpful.

    ReplyDelete

To directly contact the author, email retapscott@comcast.net