Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Bolin, Bowling, Bolding, Bolling

Today (19 Mar 2014) I sent the following email to the Bolin/Bolding/etc Project administrator at FamilyTreeDNA:

I have found some exciting yDNA test connections with individuals bearing the surname “Bolin” and variations. I believe that I may be able to help you with your study, and your could help me with mine.

My surname is “Tapscott” and my paternal line has been reliably traced back to the arrival of my 6G grandfather Henry Tapscott, who sailed from Bristol England to the Northern Neck of Virginia, arriving in 1700. Court records dating from 1706 confirm his arrival in this country with the name “Tapscott.” My 67-marker yDNA test shows a 1-step match to another Tapscott (also tested at 67 markers) who is descended from the original Henry through an entirely different line originating with another son of Henry, helping confirm our paper trail.

My results and those of the only other two people bearing the “Tapscott” surname who have been yDNA tested on FamilyTreeDNA show very close connections to individuals bearing the name Bolin and related names. For example, at 67 markers I show matches to the following individuals: three different Boldings at genetic distances of 1, 2, and 3; two Bowlings at distances of 2 and 3; and three Bolins at 3 each. I also have a number of matches with Bolins and related names at less reliable 4 and 5 genetic distances.

The yDNA results strongly indicate that some people bearing the Bolin/Bowling/Bolding/etc surname and the three individuals tested to date with the surname “Tapscott” had a common paternal ancestor with the separation occurring either in Virginia (where some of the Bolin/Bowling/Bolding matches had their most distant ancestor) or in England, before coming to America.

I would like to join the Bolin Project. I believe that with access to submitted trees, most distant ancestors, and matches available to members of the Bolin Project, I may be able determine where and when the separation occurred. With kit numbers for individuals in my matches, I would be able to compare specific matches to tell precisely which family (or families) in your study are related to me, and to reveal more of their paternal line. I might note that my research by classical methods has been quite thorough, but only involves American records from 1700 on. I have never seen the name Boling, etc. connected with my paternal Tapscott line.

My paternal line has been posted to Family Tree, and I am a project manager for the Tapscott Surname Project. I would be glad to send you any more information you might need. Note that I do not need additional FamilyTreeDNA testing. I have been tested up to 111 markers. My predicted haplogroup is the rather common R-M269, R1b1a2. (Further refinement confirms the yDNA haplogroup R-S18890.) 
 

1 comment:

  1. A good step forward!! Thanks. I'll be very interested to follow the progress we make if they are willing to link up. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

To directly contact the author, email retapscott@comcast.net