Saturday, January 11, 2014

Roland I. Tapscott

Jane Butler of the African American History Association just let me know of the death of Roland I. Tapscott, one of the Fauquier County Tapscotts, Born 13 Dec 1922 to James and Roberta Tapscott, Roland, died 7 Jan 2014 at his home in Warrenton, Virginia. If my genealogy is correct (and there are many who argue with me), Roland was the great great grandson of Harriet Tapscott and the GGGG grandson of Ezekiel Tapscott. He was, I believe, a member of the Edney line and my sixth cousin. Roland served in the U.S. Marines during WW II and received a belated Congressional Gold Medal for his work towards social change in the service. Roland's funeral is scheduled for Tuesday, 14 Jan, at Faith Christian Church and International Outreach Center. Warrenton, Virginia. The church pastor is Decker Tapscott, Roland's nephew.

This is a good time to make another plea. We need some autosomal DNA testing to clarify the Fauquier County Tapscotts. I urge the Fauquier County (and other Tapscotts) to have autosomal and/or yDNA testing (as appropriate) done through either Ancestry.com (autosomal only) or through FamilyTree (both). Because of male/female descents only autosomal can show a Tapscott relationship for Fauquier County Tapscotts. I recently contracted for a second autosomal test through FamilyTree ("Family Finder") in hopes of connecting with more Tapscotts. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Robert,
    I see on your blog that the second edition of your genealogy of our family is finished. I'd like to buy a book. What's the cost, address, etc. Thanks for all your hard work. Still so curious as to the link you will discover with the Bolding-Bowling genetic closeness. I supposed I could get the more refined test for my brother. The website recommends it. Did you find it useful? Btw, the info you wrote for the DNA project is very informative and welcoming for all potential "Y" Tapscotts.
    Thanks,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan:

    Sorry. If I said that I was finished, I didn't mean to make that claim. I still have several more weeks or months to go. Just keep watching this site. I do not believe that a more refined test for your brother will help out much. He and I are very closely related in our yDNA (only one step with 67 markers) and my more refined test will probably not differ greatly from his. There could, of course, be a surprise, but I doubt it. I plan to blog on refined test results today.

    ReplyDelete

To directly contact the author, email retapscott@comcast.net