Sunday, January 5, 2014

More matter, less art

While writing the second edition of Henry the Immigrant I often find myself falling into the time-wasting trap of creating colorful prose to hide uninteresting facts and figures. To be honest, the data of family history and genealogy can be boring. My son Mike Tapscott, an author whose ability greatly exceeds mine (see his book Homeless Hero on Amazon), penned the following some years back, using a Shakespearean style, which he greatly admires:


The ship of my pen doth sail rough waters,
so to type of calmer waters sail I
But matter not, for vessels speak none to thy cargo
Great art, poorly framed, speaks as loudly to the soul as that in gilded trappings
Better yet that vessels be poor, so art not trapping soul, thus lauded into silence

Per the Father, letter’s art is most certainly lost at sea
So find I this treasure resurrected from the oceans deep,
to share with thee, as You with me

Simply stated, though deeply felt
“More matter, with less art.”


In hopes of decreasing the time to finally finish the Henry tome, I will try to avoid replacing matter with "gilded trappings,". I am, however, concerned with Mike's phrase "Per the Father, letter’s art is most certainly lost at sea." Is he saying, my writings are lost at sea?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To directly contact the author, email retapscott@comcast.net